Business Trade license Czech Republic

30. 5. 2016

Business Trade license Czech Republic

Do you wish to start working in the Czech Republic on a self-employed basis? Getting a trade license is one of the most popular and straightforward ways to do so. Whether you are a freelance language teacher, an artist, or an IT-specialist, a trade license allows you to work in the Czech Republic as an independent contractor.  

For most professions, including those mentioned above, you do not need to fulfill any special requirements in order to start working on a trade license. You need to be over 18 years of age, which is the legal age in the Czech Republic, and have no criminal record of a serious nature. For some professions, you need to prove your vocational education and/or work experience, but this is also a straightforward process given you have already been working in that field outside of the Czech Republic. 

Once you know what type of work you wish to do in the Czech Republic, you need to have a business seat. Sounds very official, but again, no big deal. Basically, the person who is renting you a property shall sign a document where he approves that you can use the address where you live as your business seat. You do not need to be working on that address, you just need to be able to receive letters from Czech authorities. 

Now you can file your trade license application at the Trade License Office. The tricky part of this process is that civil servants in the Czech Republic are no big fans of English language or, to be precise, any other language apart from Czech. Communication can therefore get a bit difficult. You need to bring supporting documents mentioned above and your passport, and select trades that are relevant for your business.

Once your application has been filed, you need to pay a registration fee of 1000 CZK and wait usually around 15 days before your trade license is issued. Before you start working, you also must register at the Social Security Office and at your local Tax Office. EU citizens are also obliged to register at the National Insurance company called VZP. Non-EU citizens don’t need to register at VZP, but must have valid health insurance for foreigners.

This is the whole process in a box. Our ExpatCare team is dealing with trade license applications of our clients on a day-to-day basis, so believe us, we know what we are talking about. Even though the process is straightforward for us, our clients value the fact that we are able to guide them along the way. We make sure that trade license application is complete and all supporting documents are provided, we do the talking with authorities, we inform our clients about all that needs to be done before they can start working. Other than stress, we also save them time. Since we provide our Trade license service based on the power of attorney, our clients do not need to be waiting in queues and do not need to worry that they will have to wait for their trade license longer than necessary.

We can offer an advice on business Trade license as well as related visa or regisrations for EU and non-EU citizen, and much more. 

If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact Pavel on T: +420 777 603 533, E:, or by filling in the contact form below.


If you are looking for the best service provider, go ahead with us!

  • Proven track record of the best service delivery - references
  • Individual approach to every customer
  • Experience of being an expatriate and local market knowledge

Expat Care Team

Is a mix of both locals and expats, and therefore has a wide range of experiences. Our agency is dedicated to expats from both EU and non-EU countries that are coming to the Czech Republic to live, work or study. We are ready to assist with all possible relocation issues, including but not limited to, home searches, assistance, visas, permits, employee cards, registrations and many other.